Making delicious movie theater-quality popcorn at home is waaaay easier than you think. The secret is the steam released from the kernels as the pop, and Flavicol, a delicious popcorn salt used at movie theaters. Let’s get poppin’!
For best results: use CORN OIL. Vegetable oil will leave your popcorn tasting, well, odd. Olive oil will just smoke up your kitchen. Corn oil for popCORN!
- Place pot on stove top burner.
- Turn the burner to medium-high heat.
- Pour 1-2 TBSP of corn oil into the pot, enough to cover the bottom.
- Toss 3 kernels of corn into pot and place lid on top.
- After the 3 kernels pop, the oil is ready. Remove the lid, and pour enough kernels in to cover the bottom of the pot, replace the lid, and shake so all the kernels are covered in oil.
- After a few minutes, the kernels will start popping. Using pot holders or oven mitts, pick up the pot (using your thumbs to hold the lid closed) and shake vigorously.
- Once the popcorn has reached halfway up the pot, open the lid, and pour in popcorn salt and popcorn butter. Coat popcorn to your liking! Replace the lid and shake vigorously.
- If 2-3 seconds go by between pops, move the pot off the burner, and turn off the stovetop.
- Remove the lid, and pour popcorn into bowls. Feel free to add more popcorn salt, butter, or seasoning to taste.
Remember – the best popcorn is popcorn that tastes best to you. Play with the seasonings, or amount of butter topping until you find just the right consistency, that you enjoy!