Summer Vacation 2015 – Day Two – Broken Arms and Bratwurst

Around 7:30am we all walked into Cracker Barrell for some much-needed coffee and bathrooms, but what we all really wanted was a shower! Check-in wasn’t until Noon, so we had a lot of time to kill. After breakfast, we drove to Wal-Mart to stock up on groceries and ice, then to an O’Reilly Auto Parts for extra fuses, and finally we topped off the van then headed back to Cracker Barrell. After everything was packed we headed for the campground.

We arrived around 11:40, a little early, but most everyone had cleared out. We checked-in and drove to our campsite. It was a relief that there were no issues this time. When we pulled up to A16 and A17, we saw that the people in A17 were still here, their vehicle was gone. Their gear was thrown about the campsite and it appeared that they were making no attempt to check-out on time.

harrison-bay-state-park-campsitesSince our campsite was A16, I went head and started backing in and setting up. Dad parked on the side of the camp road and headed back to the A-Frame to see why A17 still had a camper on it. While he worked on that, I worked on getting camper’s A/C running. It was already 88 degrees and the newly renovated campsites have fresh asphalt making for a heated campsite setup.

Out of nowhere, an old Ford F-350 whipped into A-17 and Bubba himself started throwing gear into the camper. Dad was back from the A-Frame by this time. He pointed at Bubba and said, “They’ve been at the hospital all morning, his daughter fell and broke her arm. She had to have surgery.” Dad walked over to him and asked if his daughter was going to be alright and if he wanted any help tearing down. Bubba declined but thanked him for the gesture.

beautiful-sunset-from-night-oneAn hour later and we had both our sites setup. It was around 1:30 and nobody was in the mood to do anything except shower and chill in the A/C. So, that’s what we did the first afternoon. Settled in and then we made beer brats, beans, and some salad for dinner. After an uneventful afternoon (and evening), we all went to bed early. Personally, I haven’t slept this good in a loooooong time…

By Greg Rickaby

Director of Engineering @WebDevStudios / Author & Editor @Wiley

Leave a Reply